Monday, October 1, 2012

Bayfield Heritage Days




   So Saturday did not go at all as planned. Saturday was the town of Bayfield's celebration of "Heritage Days" I had heard that this would include sheep being herded down the highway. What a sight! But I was severely distracted by the itinerary of the day and decided I wanted to do it all. What a surprise? So this meant the morning would start off with a fun run 5k to support the local boy scouts. Somehow, the boys were really excited to participate and I have never done a 5k, but I thought I would give it a go, in the spirit of trying new things. Well, I grew up in Carlsbad, CA home of the "Carlsbad 5000" so I was surprised to see all eleven of us show up for the fun run on Saturday. No worries though, I prefer small crowds, less pressure. So when they told us to go, my boys darted off and I'm thinking " wait a second I don't know where I'm going." You see in a race of this size the signs are pretty small, you gotta keep a watchful eye. Anyway my kids decided they could no longer hold their water bottles after about 1/4 of a mile, pretty soon we were in last and walking . I tried to encourage my kiddos but they weren't buying it. I started to get frustrated , they were almost in tears (they had walked about 2 miles by this point) so I called Ian to pick them up. It was not very well thought out by yours truly but I had such high hopes. I did however finish second to last, behind me was a family with a newborn, but I finished, I got the t-shirt to prove it.
     So as this drama laid out, it took longer than I thought and I missed the herding of the sheep. The boys however passed the sheep on the highway so at least they got a good look. Then came the parade. You remember how much "fun" we had at the last parade right? If not just look at the picture on this page . Well,  we learned from our mistake, this time we were the parade. That's right, Ian's foreman offered us a spot to sit in a buggy being pulled by horses and of course we did it. When I heard about this opportunity I almost died of embarrassment right then and there because I knew I HAD to do it. Anyway, I wasn't nearly as embarrassed as I thought, and Waylon loved waving to the crowd. After the parade there was another carnival of festivities that including wool dying  and spinning and I had every intention of participating but instead we all took turns riding horses. It was not what I had planned but probably more fun. After all this excitement, to be honest, I went home and  took a nap. It was a long couple of days and I was worn out. Ian had to work that night. So the  boys and I hung out around the trailer and then we got quite a show of fireworks that evening, thanks to the "Heritage Days." The day did not go as planned but I think all in all it was a big success. It ended up being more relaxful than my incredibly long list of events we were to partake in and when Ian came back at 3am he showed me a picture of a bear that was roaming around town while he was working, so it was pretty exciting after all. So I don't have anymore spectacular adventures up my sleeve, we will have to see what life throws our way. See you soon.

Heres an article about Heritage Day http://durangoherald.com/article/20120929/NEWS01/120929449/Warning--Sheep-crossing--

No comments:

Post a Comment