Thursday, June 14, 2012

Welcome to Durango!

      We made it! It was a journey, should've been a 7 hour drive we made it in 10 1/2. Ian compared it to "Grapes of Wrath" I thought it was more like a Griswold Family Vacation! The truck was over heating, the hitch was moving around but driving through Moab Utah was worth it. I have to go back. We didn't stop but i had Wrex take pictures out the window, I'll have to see how they came out. Wrex and I had a dance party in our car to "Single Ladies" that was pretty fun. Houston and Ian roughed it in the truck, I'm sure they made a mock man cave, complete with beef jerky and warm water bottles. Anyhow, it was long but we made it.
    Sunday we were exhausted but we did take a stroll through town and got to see people white water rafting through the Animas River which runs through town. There was one guy, stand up paddle boarding a rapid. Ian said he could probably pick it up faster than the guy and the kids laughed when the poor fellow wiped out. Poor guy, I know we don't sound like a very nice family. The worst part is i reminded everybody that we were close enough for him to hear us. Ah yes, our many adventures. Houston cannot wait to ride a rapid and i cannot wait to watch Ian admit, it's harder than it looks!
    We found an awesome recreation center. It was mainly an indoor pool with a smaller outdoor section. Inside there is a lazy river, a water slide, a high dive and an indoor water play area. The kids had a blast and it was very affordable. The next few days we spent finding grocery stores and ice cream stops.
    Yesterday, I ventured to Pagosa Springs, which is an hour and fifteen minutes away. Ian is working there and we're thinking of moving closer to save on gas and rent. I went in expecting these country bumpkins to be hungry for my 6 month long commitment. Instead I mainly got parks that were mostly booked for the summer. I was not expecting that, I know southern California is booked but I wasn't expecting that in Southwest Colorado. Deflated my ego a little bit.  I am not joking when I say country bumpkins, and I mean it in the most endearing way. Ian and I were speculating that Pagosa is like a town, when they get a batch of bad meat in the grocery store, it would take out the whole town. Scary!We went down one dirt road and I swear I hear deliverance playing my head and when I pulled up this one eyed three legged dog came out barking at us. I almost floored it right there and then. Turns out the gal was real nice but yeah it scared the bee geezuz out of me. Houston said the dog was from outer space. Another park owner told us " they never bothered to bring the cable out here! " Another park they were painting rocks for an activity. The kids we're real excited about it.
   Yeah,  It has personality but I don't know if I'm ready for that kind've switch yet. I felt such relief to get back into the town of Durango. ( Oh yeah, did I mention on our way home, they closed the road for "blasting" we sat for about 25 mins) However, they really don't have room for us here through July either, so I gotta figure something out...Yesterday was stressful, can you tell? The kids were such good sports, I promised them today we would do nothing but play in the pool. So that's what's going on here, I'll let you know when I figure this mess out. Today I'm taking it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment