Monday, June 4, 2012

2012 Utah Lineman Rodeo


        So the Rodeo was totally not what I expected. I don't know what I was expecting, but lets just say I had a cute dress picked out with cowboy boots. So yes, even with my limited space conditions, I decided the cowboy boots must come with me on my travels. So it became to clear to me that morning that the dress was not going to work out, it just kept slipping down so I wore a pair a jeans with a tank tops and kept the boots on, I was still ready to rodeo, whatever that meant. Well, that meant watching Ian showing me what he's learned in the past year. Which was really cool. I was so proud of him. They had to compete in 3 events. The first one was sort of an obstacle where he had to climb a pole and complete several tasks while he was up there. He was hanging off of poles, using a hot stick, which is like a pole that he moves thingies with and walking on a tightrope, at least that's what it looked like. Then he performed a hurt man rescue, which is what they practice in the event that someone gets injured while working up on a pole. Ian wanted me to say that the dummy he had to hoist down, weighed more than him. The last event was a speed climb, he had to climb a pole with a tool bag in his teeth (in the tool bag there is a raw egg) take the egg that was in the tool bag at the top of the pole drop that bag down, replace it with your bag and climb down with that egg in your mouth. You cannot crack the egg in your mouth, that's probably pretty obvious. Also you have to do it as fast as you can. All these events are timed.
        So it was a long morning, In the beginning the kids were so antsy and we were just waiting for Ian's turn. Then we ran into some other families that live in  our park that also are apprentices and we had such a good time together. We all cheered on our men and the ladies helped me out with the kiddos, it was really neat. Oh yeah , it was also hot, very hot and not a lot of shade. Everything was on a donation basis and all the proceeds went to the burn unit in the local hospital. We also went on a crane ride, Ian, Houston and myself that is. Wrex was too scared and Waylon stayed on the ground with my friends. The kids got to ride on a mechanical bull, so that was about as rodeo as it got. No line dancing. I don't know what a rodeo is? But what I do know is, I was so proud of Ian and what he's doing. It is not easy and it looks crazy, the poles were swaying underneath his weight. But he's following his dreams and he's passionate about it. That's why we're doing this, we're supporting him. But I wasn't expecting what a gift it would be to meet other families doing the same thing. We had a great time and I'm so glad I was there to see Ian at work. Oh yeah and he did that whole speed climb obstacle in 49 seconds, not bad huh? He didn't break the egg but he did say the egg had teeth marks in it...bleh!

No comments:

Post a Comment