Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Looking toward the Future

     
     Who would've thought that having the kids in school keeps us busier than homeschooling! I can't believe it's been about two months since my lasts update  . We're about to have our last week of school and it boggles my mind when I compare our lives to the beginning of this school year. I recall a wasp infestation inside the trailer on the first day is school! Who could forget? Anyway,  Ian got on a job that's about an hour away. He's home at nights and most weekends . He was very excited to be working in his county ! Wrex had a group project this week, it involved him and a buddy making a music video about Julius Cesar. He actually voiced to me that this was something that he had missed when he was homeschooling. To be clear, he missed friends because I assure you, his musical career is a bit dim.  I defensively argued back that I'm sure he also missed the extra hour and a half of sleep that his homeschooling allowed because ...well I am childish! The truth is , I am so happy that he likes Jr High and I'm incredibly shocked that I will have an 8th grader. He also pointed out that most 8th grade boys are taller than me . To that I say Ha Rumph! Houston got his year book yesterday and was amazed to see that he was actually in it! That's got to be a hard working year book staffer, to catch a kid that came in March! We've been involved in his school and went on a mother son orienteering night. Very fun. We also participated in the book fair and guess who is in PTO for next year? Houston likes having me at his school , so that's what I plan on doing. Waylon is less like a baby and more like a full on boy. For the last week, he dug out a Halloween skeleton and has been taking Mr. Skeleton with us everywhere. Even to a very special graduation dinner. I don't know how to fight him on this when he is so clearly my child. So instead we pull up a chair for Mr. Skeleton and we tuck him into bed at night. I have been better than I deserve. This Mothers Day, Wrex bought me a movie ticket to see a chick flick and sent me with money to buy myself a popcorn. Houston bought me red vines and I spent the afternoon by myself at the movies . It sounds odd maybe? Kinda lonely? But actually , I was just so appreciative that they realized I'm a person , with needs of my own. They treated me like they want to be treated  and I call that a victorious day in parenting! Also, my aunt had taken me to a day spa the day before. I was untouchable that weekend!
     Memorial day weekend marked  three years that our family of five has lived in a fifth wheel. Holy crap! How did we survive that? Three years ago I took our kids out of school a little early and we moved to Salt Lake City, Utah. Now we're back in our hometown but still in our fifth wheel. Most of you that I  talk to know how crazy that has made me. The fact that we are not in a house yet, has driven me insane. We're talking about multiple mommy meltdowns. The truth is it has been a major conflict over here. Coming home  did not go as planned . We thought Ian getting to work would happen faster. I thought a dream rental would be waiting for me . I wondered if we might  buy another house...The reality that I was faced with was work was slow in January. Rentals were scarce and kinda yucky and   prices were going up. My family and I only wanted to stay in selective  areas and that made it tough to find what we wanted. Also,  my husband and I had different ideas about how the next part of our lives would start. He thought of being more conservative. Living modestly, pile up a large amount of savings and then make a plan. I want something now. We've already been sacrificing , let's see the payoff now. I want a house so big , I can't hear the kids when I'm in the bathroom . That sounds amazing to me!  Ian has been gone longer than the boys and I. He really just wanted to go back to our house  and feel like he came home. I just wanted a big house where everyone could scatter. Neither of these ideas were realistic. Our home is a quaint beach bungalow that's two bedrooms one bath on a large quarter acre. It's a half-mile away from the beach and Ian has put his blood sweat and tears  into that house.  I didn't write about this sooner because it was a very hot button of mine. I never really even considered going back to the house because of when the lease ended. I had no intention of staying in our fifth wheel any longer than necessary. We recently had to move RV parks. That was so disappointing. I thought I had parked in my last RV park . We've just covered the house topic from top to bottom. Our friends and kids are sick of hearing about it. The facts are: nothing very tempting has come up to rent and rentals go like hot cakes around here. So I can finally tell you , we're going home. The renters have their 60 day notice to vacate the property . We are working with a contractor and will be adding on a master bedroom and bath sometime in August. If everything goes well. I'm excited for the next season of our lives to start. It could be just the start of summer, but I feel excitement  for all of these  changes to finally begin . Now that I can accept that things aren't the way I thought they should be , I can really start to appreciate and feel excited for how they actually are. I'll keep you posted on our progress . I realize my blog has been about , traveling , homeschooling, running and now about remodeling. I would apologize but it sounds just as scatterbrained as I am . So thanks for following me living this life on the road. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you and your family! You know I do not live far from you and if you need to get away you can come over or we could just go for a walk and I don't mind listening.

    ReplyDelete