Monday, March 31, 2014

Week 9 of Marathon Training

I finally got to go inside a running store this weekend! I've been wanting to go inside this place for a while  but haven't found the time. For my birthday I received several running presents! My family got me some running capris and a water bottle and a friend gave me a Runners World magazine. I flipped through the first page and saw another runner sporting just the item I've been looking for. A fanny pack. 
    As an Italian woman, one thing I am concerned about is how to eat while I run for several hours. I mean if I'm out there for several hours, someone is going to have to feed me! In addition to that gem of common sense, I've read the benefits of supplementing with Cliff shots or Gu. The extra carbohydrates refuels your muscles as you run  and they add other good things in there too! So I have seen Capri pants with a zippered pouch, but let's think this through, shall we? Cliff shots are like gummy bears . Ever had a gummy bear that's been in your pocket too long? That's what it's going to be like if I put these energy gels in my back pocket . Plus sweat...I'll  stop there. So an alternative to putting the gels in a hidden pocket,  is putting them on a stylish low profile fanny pack. Which I was against  (originally)  but vs sweaty gummy bears , I'll take it! So I found one at the running store and got to try it out this weekend . I also bought a " waffle " made from "Honey Stinger" which is a company based out of Steamboat CO. A waffle that is easy to digest on the go and apparently delicious . I would eat it even if I had time to sit down for a snack, they are that good. check our their video http://youtu.be/ajizuP_5wII
See all the cool stuff you find out about in the running store ? 
       On Sunday I set out to run 17 miles. I ran the first 6.75 solo and Ian hopped on the bike and encouraged me the rest of the way . It was the warmest day I've ran this year . It started out at 49 degrees and went up from there. I actually had to take off my long sleeves and today I realized I got sunburned! Huge shock! I cannot wait for warm weather! So the run went well, the fanny pack worked and kept my  cliff shots from getting gooey. The waffle was amazing . My GPS watch ran out of batteries. Still getting into the swing of things ( note to self, charge your watch....doh!) but I ran for about 4 hours and 10 minutes , so I'm pretty confident I hit 17 miles . It makes such a difference having Ian pedal beside me. He's so encouraging and keeps telling me that " I got this. " when I'm not sure I do. I love having him with me. 
       This week the boys and I are on the east coast for a family  wedding. It was a miracle that we made our flight and an even bigger miracle that I didn't harm any of the 14 year old girls that surrounded me on the plane . Apparently there was an east coast field trip and the girls thought it was cute to yell that " we were all going to die. " My mother said I use to be like that, surely she is suffering from memory loss . I was never that annoying! 
   Anywho, I'm looking forward to running in a different area , hopefully with a break from the high altitude I will keep rocking my runs this week! 

This is me feeling strong ... I guess? I think you forget how to pose for pictures after running that long. Just notice the discreet fannypack

No comments:

Post a Comment