Saturday, April 5, 2014

Running with my Hero and marathon training week 10

  

   This is my brother Nate. (On the right.) He is one of my heroes. Nate is a naval corpsman. He has served in Afganistan and he is kind've a bad ass. He has treated wounded soldiers on battlefields and in hospitals in the US. He pulls all this off and is  still a devoted family  man to his beautiful wife and daughter . Seeing his wife endure the hardship of his deployment challenged me in my own marriage . Seeing her be without him helped me make the choice to go on the road. I have heard ladies compare military wives and line wives before but the difference for me was that I had the opportunity to be with my man on the road. Not every wife has the ability, resources or privilege to see her husband every night ( in either trade ) but I do . 
( his beautiful wife who has taught me so much)
       Nate inspires me in many ways , but in December he sent me a pair of running shoes for Christmas with a note that read " the sport needs you."  The truth was I hadn't ran for 4 months because I was frustrated with moving to a new area again, not knowing where to run or have anyone to go with . Plus the kids needed me every waking moment ( or so I tell myself .)  Nate's push got me back out there. I need running . Sometimes it's my only outlet.  I enjoy the peacefulness and I need that feeling of accomplishment when all the momma duties are never finished and always on repeat . This week I got to run with Nate . 
     We had been looking forward to it for sometime. We wanted to train together but his work has been so hectic, all of the training just couldn't fit into his busy schedule . So we decided to run a half marathon together , just the two of us. But , it's been a busy week. I've been on the east coast for a wedding and we celebrated with family all weekend long . I hurt me knee wearing the cutest platform Toms and I was scared that my running schedule would be ruined! I rested a few extra days and this morning Nate and I set out to run 13.1 on the military base nearby . I got to see some really beautiful things on our run. We ran past two huge hawk nests . We saw a family of cranes chillin on a few logs. We ran along the Patuxent River and I even heard the National  anthem play over the loud speakers. It was quite a treat but my favorite part was being with my brother . I could tell we started out a little slower than he was use to, but the long run at a slow pace gave us time to talk . That's one thing I love about long distance runs lots of time to clear your mind or hang out with a good friend . My knee did fine by the way. It wasn't a problem at all when I started running . I did have my first experience with shin splints though . That was no fun. Anyway, can't wait to be back home, but I was so grateful to spend time with my family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment