Friday, July 27, 2012

Maryland

    Anyone who knows Grandma Barb will understand that a day in Grandma's life is about a week worth of adventures in mine. She's a busy lady and brings sunshine to everyone around her. Sunshine and giggles. This week was no different. It was filled with special surprises, sweet treats and a whole lot of fun. I decided to write in list form because I can't possibly tell you all of our adventures, my fingers would get tired and this would be way too long, so here it goes
    Day one. Lucy arrives, She has anxiously been waiting to see her cousins and has bright eyes. The boys let out a big sigh....here comes Lucy. (I love her so much, she is adorable and gives the boys a run for their money) Houston got  a tick. They were helping Grandma set up croquet. Houston was whacking the trees with his stick and Lucy was using the stick as a hammer....I think the tick entered at some point during this time. I found it right away, we went straight to Grandpa Bob and he took it off. He said it hadn't really even nestled in good. Thank goodness for short hair.
    Day two. Uncles and Aunts arrived. I got to see my East coast family. I hadn't seen my cousins for about five years, they grew up! It was so good to see all the aunts, uncles , cousins and the new addition. Malia! the most beautiful, quiet , happy baby you've ever seen. (Waylon is handsome, Malia is beautiful!) Everyone hit the tiki bar, immediately after dinner...everyone except Courtney, myself and the kids. We went to Ritas (ice, custard, happiness) and got a gelati. It is the best frozen treat. We hit a little snag when Houston shut Lucy's fingers in the door. Luckily I had already gotten the ice cream and that calmed her down. Phew!

    Day three. Grandpa Bob's birthday party. I got to see all of my favorite Marylanders, eat delicious food. Cupcakes, Cake. It was such a great time. We partied hard. Waylon got plenty of cuddles and we finished off the night with the best crab balls, made by my momma. Also I think I ate 4 cupcakes that day they were so good. Before bed I tried the cake....oh the cake! It was amazing.
    Day four. Everyone had to go home. We went out on the boat and Grandpa Bob had the idea to take Lucy on a treasure hunt. She kept talking about it and she told us all the treasure we would find, if we only looked. So we hid a shiny bracelet on the shore. When Lucy found it she said, "now lets find my necklace." It was very matter of fact, like she expected nothing less. She is hillarious. Meanwhile her dad and mom had missed the boat, so they were rowing after us to see the hunt. When they finally made it, the treasure hunt was over (we never did find a necklace!) so I offered to help row them back. This is where we discovered that it is impossible to row a rowboat (at least for us) without exposing your teeth and gums. Seriously, we all tried rowing and when we would be concentrating, we would start to bear down on our teeth showing our gums. I don't know if it's because we're just a strange family or if this is some sort of weird phenomenon. I personally choose to think, it helped us in an aerodynamic way. I'm sure that's it.
    Day five. Kayaking with Houston. He loves to be outside. He is true outdoors man. Love that kid! We had a crab feast that night. We had soooo many crabs caught off the pier. It was delicious, but my skill at breaking them open is....well I need some improvement. I end up eating all the claws, because it's easier for me to open. I know all the Marylanders would be like "WHAT!" you're eating the claws....well like I said I need some more skills cracking those bad boys open. It's hard work!
     Day six. Hershey park. Where do I begin. We had so much fun. It was way hot and humid, but that didn't stop us. We drank slushies, rode the roller coasters, went down waterslides. I witnessed one of my children peeing in line and totally denying it. Do you remember being a kid, thinking you were sneaky. It turns out you weren't fooling anybody. I realized that on this day. As my kid told me to step over the yellow puddle, then told me he had no idea how it got there. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "weird." We had fun though. We went to the tour area after. I got a little history lesson on the Hershey family and then eneded the day by designing our own candy bar. We got to choose the chocolates, the add ins and then follow it through the assembly line. It was my highlite, so cool! Then we were able to design the carton and see how many people before us had made the same candy bar, thanks to Hershey and their marketing information. It was very interesteing. We were exhausted. Poor Grandma, sat out most of the day with Waylon, she didn't even go on one ride, I guess I hogged all the fun. She was such a good sport and she drove us 3 hours there and 3 hours back. I know, she's Superwoman! For souveniers, Wrex chose a Hersheys Cookbook and Houston chose a hat that looks like a hamburger.

    Day seven. I spent most of the day recovereing while mom had to go to work. I got all the kids haircuts, we went a little shorter because it was soo hot and with ticks around, the shorter the better. Their haircuts turned out a bit militant but they're still so darn cute. I started sorting some of moms old family photos to organize them. I made enchiladas with our still left over food from the party. Bob said my burritos were spot on, I must've missed the mark because I was going for enchiladas. They are so silly. Love my east coasters!
    Day eight . We took the boys to the pool on base. They had to pass the swim test which was swimming across the pool and treading water. Wrex is a fish, I knew he would pass. He gave up the treading water part 5 seconds shy of his mark and had to start over. He is so stubborn .Houston really impressed me though. He has come so far this summer. I was so proud of them both. They had a blast, riding the waterslide and cooling off.  Later that night more cousins came down with another boat. We made a Resse's pie with Wrex's cookbook. It was yummy! They are going fishing today.
   So as you can see, we've been busy. This is just glossing over our adventures. We have had such a good time. We head home tomorrow, Ian misses us, but we sure had fun! Thanks for having us Grandpa Bob and Grandma Barb! It was memorable, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment