Thursday, November 15, 2012

Salt Lake City


 So these past three weeks have been a bit rough for me. Ian is working on a job high up in the mountains in a little town called Ouray. They call it "little Switzerland" they are putting him up in a hotel, so they can get in more work, with less drive time. So that leaves me here in Bayfield, with the kiddos from Monday to Saturday night, holding down the fort. I never intended to be out here on my own. First it was the week of Halloween, then it was Wrex's birthday now this is the third week and it's waring on me. I just figured if I was out here, we could all; be together as a family. So that's been frustrating. Of course Ian doesn't have a say when and where the work is. We've been told that we will probably be moving on pretty soon, so that tells me this can't last for too long, but three weeks is longer than I thought.
    This being our current situation, Ian had class in Salt Lake this weekend, so the boys and I tagged along to spend sometime together and get rid of our cabin fever! It was suppose to snow this past weekend and man did it dump on Salt Lake! It started Friday evening on our drive out there. I have never seen so much snow. Of course, I've hardly seen snow at all , but man, everything was covered,as far as we could see. It was beautiful and exciting. We got to the hotel at about 8 and unloaded our stuff. Ian teased us calling us Californians" as we tramped through the snow (not on the clear paths) in ugg boots. We brought all sorts of snow with us into the hotel room. The kids were picking up snow and eating it . So we have lots to learn, what else is new? The next day we went to In N Out. Wrex savored every bite, we got milkshakes, just to indulge ourselves, yes it was still snowing. We went to Costco and got Waylon some toys . I took the kids ion front of the hotel and showed them how to make snow angels. I was going to take a picture for you but, after I tackled Wrex isn the snow, we had a huge sbow fight and ruined our angels. I actually hid in the hotel room, after that but the kids had a blast making snowballs waitiing for me to come out. It was a lot of fun! As expected, I ate my through Salt Lake, we had Cafe Rio, Little Cesars, In N out twice. Yes we indulged on all the things they don't have in our little town.  We had so much fun eating that I thought it would be lovely to take the boys to a Sunday breakfast at my favorite little spot. So we dropped Ian off at class at 7am and drove to Salt Lake, which was about 45 mins away from where we were staying. It was clear when we started out but it had started snowing in Salt Lake. When we got to the little spot I wanted to go, it was being plowed, which I thought was a good sign. WRONG! Its about 2 miles up a mountain and when we got to "Ruths" there was about 2 feet of snow in the parking lot. I didn't want to get stuck so I turned around, the kids were disappointed but oh my gosh, if I didn't start sliding down that mountain. I felt very foolish for leaving my continental breakfast behind! So slowly we made it down the mountain and into Salt Lake. I found another restaurant on trip Advisor and made my way every so slowly that way. The snow kept falling and the plowers we're a little more slow at 7:30 Sunday morning. Where I come from, that's a perfect time to go get breakfast in Salt Lake, not so much. Anyway, the next restaurant was closed till 9am. So we went to Starbucks and grabbed a bagel at Einsteins and called it good. I got back to the hotel and thanked my lucky stars this California girl made it back without a fender bender.
     All in all, the snow was beautiful and when we got back to Bayfield there was not nearly as much of it on the ground. Which is good because as pretty as it is, getting the kids out and about in it will be challenging. So now we're back to normal, Ian is up in the mountains and the boys and I are passing the time, getting ready for Thanksgiving. My next big event, we'll talk more about that next week. Much Love~Kristina

  This is the parking lot of Ian's class, doesn't it look like a Christmas Card? I thought so.
Why is Houston wearing a sweathsirt? He didn't listen to the "grab your jacket warning" he also didn't bring any long sleeve shirts or gloves. Convinving these kids to dress properly in the snow was difficult.

1 comment:

  1. geeze that does look like a christmas postcard! glad you finally got to spend some time together.... hope his job changes soon! xx!!

    ReplyDelete