Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day 2012

  
  In honor of Labor Day and this page being called Linewife I thought I'd post some pictures from some of my linewives whose husbands are out there restoring power from hurricane Isaac.  I think everyone is well aware that Hurricane Isaac has caused severe damage. I have the deepest sympathy for these people who have lost so much.  The storm knocked out power to over 700,000 people. Now I've heard on the news how slow the lineman reaction has been to this storm but from what I've learned by being in this community, that really just isn't so. I know we're new to this career but I just wanted to share a different point of view.  Many of these wives were concerned for their husbands being in place before the storm hit. They we're definitely going to be in danger but to have a quick response the Linemen needed to be in the devastated areas. I think pictures can sometimes say more than words. So here's what I've compiled for you on this Labor Day.

Before Isaac hit, reinforcements had arrived.

From another linewife ..."They arrived late last night and were told to leave all their stuff in their trucks, (personal & work stuff) take only what they needed for the night, and check into hotel an...
d get some rest and they could unload everything in the AM. Well, around 3am they got the call that
the area flooded and they lost everything. "
 
From Entergy's Facebook  page   "Our workers have reduced the number of Hurricane Isaac outages by more than 550,000, down from a systemwide peak of approximately 769,000.

Nineteen damaged transmission lines remain in the Entergy system: one in Entergy Mississippi, 15 in Entergy Louisiana and three in Entergy Gulf States Louisiana.

Our continuing efforts are being supported by donor crews from Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin."



Some Men are staying in hotels with no power, some are camping, I found a picture of these temporary housing arrangements.

     I do know that these men love to restore the power. Most men love to work storms, there is something to be said about using your talents when they are needed most. Of course they want to restore the power, it's what they've been made to do. Several times a year our country calls on these men to perform their jobs as quickly as possible. What you may not know about this occupation is that it is extremely hazardous. There have been casualties, just from Isaac alone. So this Labor Day, say a prayer for those heroes on hooks that are away from their families and busting their tales to restore power. I guarantee they are working as fast as they can. I know their wives are waiting for  them.

No comments:

Post a Comment