Monday, January 2, 2012

Journey to the center of the...wait where are we going?

There are many women out there who know what it means to be a linewife, I am not one of them. I am learning day by day what this life will mean for me and my family. My family. I have been married for almost a decade. For the past few years my husband has been trying to become a lineman and I have been by his side searching the forums and figuring out how to get a commercial drivers license and coming up with plans a b and c. (none of which have been put into action) I know others have waited far longer but finally we got the call. Timing has never been our strong suit and as I was 7 months pregnant when we received this opportunity, I stayed behind in Sunny and 70 California while my best friend packed his bag and headed for Utah. Also holding down the fort is our oldest son Wrex and soon to be middle child Houston. Oh don't forget Buck! Our dopey black lab, who has turned rather shameless since my husbands departing. So we've made it through the first 2 months of the apprenticeship, something I'm told takes roughly 3 years to graduate from. I'm sure I've used all the wrong terminology and I probably will not have the most graceful journey thought this experience, but as I am now 9 months pregnant and everyone is turning to me asking "what's next?" I feel compelled to document it, even if it's only for my benefit. I am not the first, nor the last linewife, but this is my families journey if you care to follow

2 comments:

  1. Hello! My husband has been trying to become a lineman for a really long time an I had a few questions if that's ok 😊 He recently got his rank with MSLCAT and it was 92.. Which we were super bummed about but the office told him it was a good score and he should be in?! Do you happen to remember what your husbands rank was and how long did he have to wait after interviewing to get called to orientation? I'd love any advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband interviewed in December 2010. I think his number was somewhere between 60-90 . His number was pushed back as they did more interviews . He didn't attend a line school, so it felt like a lot of people had a higher placement . He was called to an orientation in June 2011. I just about packed my bags and started looking for places to rent , but after that he didn't recieve his first call until November 2011. It just seemed to take forever and that's just waiting for the journey to begin. It's been a really long ride but it's worth it. MSLCAT trained him very well. If you have any questions feel free to contact me or email me at kristinamccay@gmail.com Good Luck!

      Delete